Tuesday 4 May 2010

Jumping in Puddles

VIDEO: Hoppípolla - Sigur Ros



Hoppípolla is Icelandic for "jumping in puddles". Oh how I used to love jumping in puddles! Was there any greater thrill than the moment of impact? Feet hitting water, and seeing it fly with a satisfying SPLAT? The thing is, I still love to do it now, but I never have the appropriate footwear, nor do bystanders accept it any longer if I do. These are excuses though, aren't they? After all, as a child it didn't matter what shoes I had on: getting one's feet wet was a small price to pay for the exhilaration of making that rain water fly! And if bystanders ever were to click their tongues in dismay, it mattered not... their presence went entirely unnoticed.
So what happens to us when we grow up? Why do we stop playing the way we used to? Is it really maturity, or is it just fear? I think we worry about what people will say. We worry about having soggy shoes.


Children of yore, it's time to throw mature caution to the wind, and go back to jumping in puddles. Get your feet wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment